Government Affairs 2018 Policy Agenda
Outdoor Industry Association (OIA) is the national trade association for suppliers, manufacturers and retailers in the $887 billion outdoor recreation industry. The outdoor industry employs more than 7.6 million Americans. OIA focuses on increasing outdoor participation, advancing sustainable business practices and shaping public policy.?
In public policy, OIA promotes funding, access and infrastructure for outdoor recreation and the protection of public lands; lower business costs, predictability and stability in global supply chains; climate change solutions and mitigates its impacts on the industry; and improve local outdoor recreation funding and access.?
As the industry’s premier trade association, OIA advocates for your business in Washington, D.C., and in a growing number of states and communities across the country. We do this work both with and on behalf of our members; outdoor industry professionals—our members—are the true champions in our advocacy work.??
OIA will seek to promote a culture of collaboration in its policy work, and seek to convene and work through coalitions of interest groups and stakeholders where possible.??
To that end, OIA government affairs will focus on the following priorities:?
Close To Home?
- Educate state and local policymakers about the power of the outdoor recreation economy in their communities and promote local investment in the outdoor recreation industry.?
- Pursue funding and access for close-to-home outdoor recreation through ballot initiatives and state-level legislative advocacy initiatives.?
- Build and support coalitions of industry professionals, nonprofit leaders, policymakers and other stakeholders to effectively advocate for outdoor recreation at the state and local levels.
Federal Recreation and Public Lands?
- Defend the Antiquities Act, the Wilderness Act and other bedrock laws of conservation and land management that guide how our public lands are stewarded.???
- Educate members of Congress and the administration about the substantial economic contributions the outdoor industry makes to the U.S. economy every year and the fundamental role public lands plays in the outdoor recreation economy.?
- Seek sustained funding, access and infrastructure for outdoor recreation through the reauthorization of the Land and Water Conservation Fund, a comprehensive wildfire suppression budget fix, proactive recreation legislation and stable appropriations for public lands and waters.?
- Support federal tariff reform and specific initiatives that relieve outdoor businesses of the disproportionately high and unnecessary import taxes that stifle innovation, suppress employment expansion and artificially inflate retail prices on outdoor products.?
- Support outdoor businesses that manufacture their products in the United States and a fair and balanced retail environment regardless of retail channel.?
- Support policies that promote and incentivize sustainable outdoor products and supply chains.?
- Engage outdoor industry companies to be leading voices on climate change issues and to advocate for business friendly policy solutions.?
- Encourage national, regional and local leaders to incentivize meaningful climate change mitigation strategies.?
- Collaborate with OIA’s Sustainable Business Innovation department to support outdoor industry businesses in addressing climate change through their operations and business practices, including adopting industry tools such as the Higg index, accelerating the integration of alternative energy and working with vendors, service providers and production facilities — both foreign and domestic — to incorporate industry best practices into their operations.?
- Monitor, educate and alert the outdoor industry about regulatory and product safety compliance issues that may impact business, while continuing to protect customers at the federal and state levels.?
- Engage industry leaders, nongovernmental organizations, policymakers and other stakeholders to develop and disseminate best practices across the outdoor industry.?
- Convene and engage the industry to discuss and act on regulatory issues that impact their businesses and develop appropriate, science-based solutions.?
Additional Government Affairs Priorities:?
OIA’s Outdoor Recreation Economy Report
“The Outdoor Recreation Economy Report” is a survey of the economic benefits of the outdoor recreation industry, including both outdoor product sales and associated travel and tourism spending. First released a decade ago, this tool has been OIA’s most effective, visible and durable research report leading to a??fundamental shift in how our industry’s policy issues are perceived and addressed in Washington, D.C., and in state capitals across the nation.?
The recreation economy report includes national, state and congressional district information on consumer spending, direct employment, wages and tax revenue. OIA and our members will use this tool to elevate our standing as a critical American industry and to advocate on the policy priorities to help us thrive.?
Outdoor Industry Association Political Action Committee (OIAPAC)
Outdoor Industry Association utilizes a nonpartisan political action committee to support policymakers and candidates for office who demonstrate their commitment to the outdoor industry by sponsoring legislation and who regularly consult with industry executives or advance industry-friendly policy proposals.??
Contributions to OIAPAC are distributed to candidates after receiving substantial input from donors, a thorough and careful review by OIA staff and approval from an oversight board of industry executives. OIAPAC is one of the most powerful tools the outdoor industry has to support and promote our policies in local districts and in Washington, D.C.??